If you’ve ever read this blog before, you would know that I am semi consistant with my updates. A lot of people have been taking what nerds are calling a “blogatical”, or a sabatical from blogging. I was one of those people. I took a blogatical because I was uninspired, and didn’t want to write things just to blog. Lame. I just didn’t have anything to say so I took a break. But these days I am thinking a bit more and I think I have a bit to say. So with that, I’m back to blogging on a more regular basis.
Also, a bit has happened over the summer! Here are some of the highlights…
1. I left Starbucks. I am now an employee of a local coffee shop called the Woods Coffee. I appreciate the Woods’ ideals of being in the community and constantly trying to find ways to support the local economy and businesses. It’s been an interesting change to say the least. I work in the ferndale store, which is a beautiful store. Of course there are differences that I love and hate, but in this economy, I’m just glad I have a job! One thing I will say is that the customers tip well at The Woods.
2. It was HOT this summer! We reached 90+ degrees on a couple of days. which is not normal for us here in Bellingham, WA, but The Brown Kid liked it (do you like the use of third person there?). I thought it was funny though how people were constantly complaining. “Think about this past winter”, I would tell him. We had a lot of snow storms. It was ugly. Global warming?
3. I’m a dad still. I officially turned in my “cool card” today actually, because I bought Loa the CD, “Elmo’s Best”. I feel twitches coming on though. It could get ugly around here. I showed her the YouTube video of “Elmo’s Song”, and when we listened to the CD, she was looking around for Elmo. It was cute and sad at the same time.
4. I started a band! Here in the Northwest, there is a big Hawaiian population (including yours truly). One day I thought to myself that there are no Hawaiian bands around here, but I know that I am not the only hawaiian who listens to hawaiian music. So I put an ad in Craigslist, jsut to see what would happen. We call ourselves “Kanakapila”. It is a hawaiian word for a “jam session”. It fits. We have a drummer, bass, guitar, and slide guitar. We do covers of island music and are writing a few originals. Think Traditional Hawaiian Music meets Island Music meets Reggae meets Jack Johnson meets Jawaiian meets Cheesy Hotel Music. This is kind of the span that we cover.
5. Cynthia turned 30. We had a party for her and a bunch of friends came out and celebrated. It was an amazing day. The sunset was beautiful, the breeze off teh water was light, and lots of food, friends, and fun was had.
6. I started a mini blog for RCC’s Creative Arts over at museministries.wordpress.com . This is going to be where I post more ideas on worship and teh worship life at RCC and in the Church as a whole. I’m going to try to keep it up.
See you soon!
the brown kid